JERUSALEM (Washington Insider Magazine)- The American proposal for settling a long-running conflict between the neighbors would improve Israel’s economy and increase regional security, according to Israel’s prime minister, who welcomed the plan on Sunday.
According to Prime Minister Yair Lapid, Israel and Lebanon received the proposal over the weekend. He claimed the idea, which he said was still under review, would reinforce Israel’s northern regions close to the Lebanese border, enable Israel to extract more natural gas, and bring in fresh funds for the government coffers.
As long as Israel gets the share it deserves, he said, Israel would not object to the creation of “an additional Lebanese gas field” that would cross the maritime border. According to him, doing so would strengthen Lebanon’s ties to Iran, limit the Hezbollah armed organization, and advance regional stability.
Before the government votes on the agreement, he said that defense and legal authorities are reviewing it. According to Israeli media, a vote may occur on Thursday.
The plan was also presented to Lebanese officials on Saturday.
Since the formation of Israel in 1948, Israel and Lebanon have been engaged in a formal state of war. Both nations assert ownership over around 860 square kilometers (330 square miles) of the Mediterranean Sea.
The last time Amos Hochstein visited Beirut was in September when he expressed hope after meeting with Lebanon’s authorities. Hochstein is a senior advisor for energy security at the U.S. State Department and has been mediating between the 2 countries.
Nabi Berri, the speaker of the Lebanese parliament, stated in an interview published on Saturday that the plan “in principle meets the Lebanese demands.”
As it struggles with the greatest economic crisis in its recent history, which has forced three-quarters of its populace into poverty, Lebanon seeks to release offshore gas and oil production. according to ABC NEWS.
The Associated Press was informed by a Lebanese official present at the negotiations last month that the U.S. envoy’s proposal grants Lebanon the right to the Qana field, which is partially within Israeli territory. A portion of it extends far into a zone of contention. The biggest issue right now, the official continued, is how to design the demarcation line such that it extends south of Qana. Lapid’s remarks seemed to allude to the developing Qana accord.
At the Karish field’s allocated spot, Israel erected a gas rig. While Lebanon maintains that Karish lies in a disputed area, Israel claims that the field is a component of its U.N.-recognized exclusive economic zone.
Three unarmed drones affiliated with Hezbollah, a terrorist organization supported by Iran in Lebanon, were shot down by the Israeli military in July as they flew over the Karish field. Regarding the maritime conflict, Hezbollah’s commander has warned Israel that any arm that extends out to take Lebanon’s resources would be cut off.
The heavily armed organization, which has engaged in several conflicts with Israel, has consistently declared in the past that it will use force to defend Lebanon’s economic rights. However, Hezbollah leaders have stated that they would support a settlement agreed between Israel and the government of Lebanon.
In a speech on Saturday, Hezbollah commander Hassan Nasrallah reiterated that the Iran-backed party will support the stance taken by Lebanon’s senior political leaders and expressed agreement with Hochstein’s suggestion. God willing, he said, “it would be the result of national unity, cooperation, and solidarity if it reaches the desired and best result.”
