YEMEN (Transatlantic Today) – According to Saudi state-run media, Yemen’s Houthi rebels have launched a series of drone and missile assaults on Saudi Arabia, striking a water treatment plant, liquefied natural gas (LNG) factory, power station, and oil facility.
According to the Saudi-led military alliance operating in Yemen, the early Sunday assaults did not result in any injuries, but they did damage civilian residences and vehicles in the region.
Aerial bombardment on an oil plant in the Saudi port city of Jeddah sparked a fire, the military alliance said later on Sunday.
Firefighters were battling a “limited” fire in one of the containers at a gasoline distribution center, according to the coalition. According to the report, there were no injuries as a result of the incident at the Saudi Arabian Oil Co. site.
As peace talks stagnate, the salvo represented the latest intensification in Houthi cross-border strikes on Saudi Arabia. According to Al Jazeera, the fighting has resulted in a humanitarian disaster in Yemen.
A spokesperson for the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, Yehia Sarie, said the organization had begun a large-scale military offensive into Saudi Arabia’s interior, but did not elaborate.
The military alliance claimed it stopped an attempt on a Saudi Arabian Oil Co, or Aramco, LNG plant at a petrochemicals facility in the Red Sea port city of Yanbu. It was unclear whether the strike had caused any harm to the plant.
A power facility in the nation’s southwest, a desalination plant on the Red Sea coast of Al-Shaqeeq, an Aramco port in the southern border city of Jizan, and a gasoline facility in the southern city of Khamis Mushait were among the targets, according to the alliance.
It was unclear how much damage had been done. Various photographs showing firetrucks dousing jumping flames using water cannons, as well as smashed automobiles and holes in the ground purportedly created by a succession of ballistic missile and drone assaults, were uploaded by the Saudi Press Agency.
Later on Sunday, the Saudi-led coalition said it destroyed a boat filled with explosives belonging to the Iran-aligned organization, according to the Saudi-owned al-Hadath TV channel.
According to the TV station, the boat’s demolition off the coast of Yemen’s Hodeidah foiled an impending attack on commerce in the Red Sea.
The Houthis, who control much of northern Yemen, notably Hodeidah, did not respond to requests for comment.
The event occurred after the Gulf Cooperation Council, based in Saudi Arabia, summoned Yemen’s warring parties to negotiations in Riyadh intended to end the almost 8-year conflict.
The Houthis have stated that they will only participate in conversations conducted in a neutral nation, and that the first priority should be to relieve a coalition siege on Houthi-controlled territories.
Since the Houthis attempted to conquer oil-rich Marib, the last of the major outposts of the Saudi-backed Yemeni administration in the nation’s north, peace negotiations have stalled.
In Yemen, Saudi Arabia is spearheading a military alliance in backing of the globally acknowledged government, which has been fighting the Houthis in a deadly struggle since 2015.
